Portals Publishing, LLC
The best books are portals to a new world.
Step-by-step instructions on how to get your manuscript through the door to becoming a published book.
1. Read these directions fully and completely and then read them again.
2. Complete your manuscript.
3. Have you edited your manuscript? If punctuation, spelling and/or mechanics are not your strong point, please consider hiring a professional editor before submitting your manuscript to us. Please understand, we do not require or demand that you use a professional editor; but we do recommend that your manuscript be as error-free as possible, because - yes - spelling counts!
4. Email your submission to
Books @ PortalsPublishing (dot) com
What do we want in your submission?
Courier, Times New Roman or Century Gothic size 12 throughout. Black or blue font color only.
a. in the subject line: QUERY Title Author
b. in the body of the message:
query letter including genre and word count
synopsis (no more than 5 pages)
first three chapters or first 30 pages
Your contact information including mailing address, phone number, and complete name
5. Wait up to 3 months for a response. We will respond to every submission with a request for the entire manuscript or a letter of declination. We don't reject anyone's book; we simply decline to publish it and wish you the best of luck finding the perfect home for it.
6. Don't call. Don't email as a follow-up. Don't snail mail as a follow-up. Don't attach anything to an email - it will be deleted unopened and your name will be put on a bad list for all eternity.
What are we looking for at this time?
Westerns / Historical Fiction (60,000 - 100,000 words)
Novella (45,000 - 60,000 words). Regulation size (60,000 - 125,000 words).
Epic/Saga (125,000 words or more).
Mysteries (50,000 - 100,000 words)
Romance (45,000 - 90,000 words)
You must indicate what flame
Poetry Collections (Word count doesn't matter, as long as we can offer our readers a good book for their money)
Non-fiction in most categories, especially historical
Please note: we do not publish:
If you have a children's book that is an Beginning Reader or Middle Reader - readability and interest ages 3-14 - please consider sending it to our sister house GingerSnap Press.
Do you have something a little more spiritual?
Please visit our sister-house,